Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Crazy schemes...

I don't drive much. I own a car that is usually driven to work my my wife. I'm lucky in this regard because high gas prices have a small effect when you don't buy much gas. BUT there are still problems. Heating oil. Not that heating oil is not a bad enough way to heat your home (last winter we spent about $1500 or so on heating our house) but with the current price of home heating oil my winter bill could be in excess of $5000. That's fucked up. $5000 to stay warm. Suffice to say we will be wearing sweaters and turning down the thermostat. But this prospect of going broke to stay warm got Sarah and I thinking. The fall project will most likely involve putting in a wood stove. I'm into the idea.
Save money? Check.
Good excuse to swing and axe around and chop wood? Double check.
We also lucked out and met a guy who is saying bye bye to oil heat too. He converted his house to electric but still had a tank full of oil in the back yard. He has been trying for months to get ride of it. He was only asking $100 for about 200 gallons of the stuff. That's over a thousand dollars worth of oil. No takers. Why you ask? How would you go about moving 200 gallons of oil? Not easy. Faced again with that prospect of a crippling heating bill we have a plan.
Step one: Find 55 gallon drums. Found some on Craig's list for less than $50
Step two: Get one of these:
Less than $50 with shipping on ebay. Check.
Step three: Break collar bone. Check... oh goddamnit!
Step four: convince father in law to drive up from the Lynchburg area with his van to help us move the oil.
Thursday is the day we swing into action. Of course by "swing into action" I mean I will be watching Sarah and her Dad do all the work.
End result... We spend about $250 and get $1000 worth of oil.

Pretty sweet.

Let's hope it works.

No comments: