Sunday, December 28, 2008

80

What should have been a 60+ mile ride was cut short by some bad luck.

We were out east with Jim and two of the Kazane guys enjoying the insanely favorable weather. Out near Charles City Jim split off to go hang out with his kid and we continued on our way to Roxbury and the dirt road before looping back in the same way. We rolled up to the mini mart by Charles City Rd to refill water. I noticed some fire trucks and a police cruiser down the road but didn't think anything of it. Some random woman asked if it was our friend who got hurt because she saw a bicycle down by the accident. It had been a while since we left Jim and I didn't think it was him but rolled over there anyway to see what was going on leaving everyone else at the store. As I pulled up I saw Jim's bike with a mangled front wheel and a VERY large truck.

I freaked out assuming the worst. The officer assured me that Jim was OK so after I calmed down a bit the cop asked if I could get someone to come move his bike (nice). Sarah was able to and I waited around for her while the rest of the guys went on their way.

Long story short Jim went to the hospital but is a-ok. His bike is not a-ok. The lady driving tried to pass him on the left after he signaled and started to turn left onto Charles City Rd. Nice.

Wear you helmet folks. Jim's is broken but his head is not.

No comments: